After a long weekend at Lollapalooza, Peter and I decided last night that dinner needed to be healthy, really healthy. Enter zucchini noodles. Shortly before Connor was born I bought this veggie peeler, knowing I’d have a few pounds to loose and realizing pasta tends to be the downfall of any diet I try, I thought I’d give zucchini noodles a go, but was unsure how I’d feel about them. When I posted the above photo on Instagram while I was cooking last night someone immediately commented, “It’s [zucchini pasta] surprising good” and I couldn’t agree more!
INGREDIENTS [Serves 2]
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup of peas [I used frozen]
- 1 ripe avocado
- a large handful of kale
- a handful of fresh mint
- a handful of pumpkin seeds [makes the dish!]
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Start by preparing the peas, I simply microwaved them according to the instructions on the bag.
- As the peas warm, make the noodles from the zucchinis and carrot using your peeler or spiralizer.
- Next, place the mint, kale, avocado, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a food processor. Blend this mix into a creamy mixture, adding about three quarters of the drained peas once they are cooked.
- Quickly sauté the veggie noodles in a little bit of olive oil. If cooked too long you run the risk of them becoming soggy.
- Mix the pesto in with the noodles while still in the hot sauté pan. Be careful to add pesto slowly, as adding too much can quickly result in green mush.
- Top dish with pumpkin seeds, fresh mint, and remaining peas.